Norwalk Attorney Defending Vehicular Manslaughter Charges
Aggressive defense from a respected defense lawyer
Vehicular manslaughter refers to the unintentional and unlawful killing of a person with the use of a motor vehicle. Facing charges for this crime is an understandably distressing experience, but options are available to you. At the Law Offices of John P. Thygerson, LLC, we assertively represent you during your legal proceedings and keep you at ease as we take the reins and fight for you both in and out of the courtroom. With more than 17 years of criminal defense experience behind us, we have a thorough understanding of the tactics necessary to secure a positive case result for you and help relieve you of your anxiety in this difficult time.
How can vehicular manslaughter be charged?
The two types of vehicular manslaughter are:
- Voluntary. Voluntary manslaughter refers to a situation where the driver either knew or should have known that his or her behavior was dangerous and could have led to the death of another person.
- Involuntary. Involuntary manslaughter is the more common charge and refers to a situation in which the driver operates the vehicle in a negligent and reckless manner, and unintentionally kills another person in the process.
Examples of involuntary manslaughter situations include:
- Running a red light and then hitting a pedestrian or crashing into another car
- Speeding that leads to losing control of the car and crashing into another car or pedestrian
- Driving distracted or without headlights at night and killing a pedestrian in a crosswalk
How can I defend myself against vehicular manslaughter charges?
Several types of defense strategies are available in vehicular manslaughter cases, the most common of which is “sudden emergency.” To prove a sudden emergency, your Norwalk criminal law attorney must be able to demonstrate all of the following:
- You believed an emergency existed, which led to the unlawful driving.
- You did not create the emergency in question.
- The emergency in question posed a threat either to you or a third party.
Convictions of vehicular manslaughter can lead to long prison sentences and significant fines, among other harsh penalties. To obtain high-powered and high-quality representation, contact the Law Offices of John P. Thygerson, LLC today.
Work with our vehicular assault attorney for representation in your case
To learn more about the proceedings in a vehicular manslaughter case, call the Law Offices of John P. Thygerson, LLC at 203.286.5690 or contact us online. We provide free initial consultations for all criminal defense clients, and, with our more than 17 years of experience, pledge ourselves to getting the results you need to get your second chance — no matter what.
The Law Offices of John P. Thygerson, LLC is located in Norwalk Connecticut and serves clients throughout the State of Connecticut. The firm's practice involves the representation of individuals charged with criminal offenses in the Norwalk, Stamford, Bridgeport, Danbury, Milford, Meriden, Middletown, New Haven and Hartford Superior Courthouses as well as all District of Connecticut Federal Courthouses.